<HONEA EXPRESS: Perspective of Parenthood

It finally happened. Honea Express has moved to greener pastures, or possibly just out to pasture -- you make the call.

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
Please pardon the dust and update your feed readers accordingly. Thank you - Whit

Monday, February 28, 2005

Perspective of Parenthood

Man, what a weekend. Tricia has been out of town, and Atticus and I entertained my mother and sister for the weekend. They left yesterday for Tucson and the boy and I ran a few errands, made some tater tots and watched the Oscars. About 3am he shows up at my bedside with a burning fever and a diaper full of soup. I attended to the diaper, gave him some medication and wiped him with a cool cloth. This continued for the next 6 hours. Then the scary part happened. His fever got so high that he had a seizure. Christ, you haven't known fear until you've held your child convulsing and eventually losing consciousness in your arms. 911, ambulance, test, medicine, waiting room, more doctors- Tricia making it home from Long Beach (a two hour drive) in an hour, lots of stress and viola, he's okay. His fever rose rapidly to a high that his little brain couldn't handle and the seizure was his bodies way of dealing with it. Five hours later he's acting like nothing ever happened; and me, I'm still thinking about that second when his eyes rolled back in his head and he went limp against my chest. That second when I couldn't do anything but count the rings before the 911 operator answered the phone and hope to whomever cares that nothing is going wrong inside my baby's tiny body. That's something I'll be thinking about for a long time.