<HONEA EXPRESS: Parenting is the New Black

It finally happened. Honea Express has moved to greener pastures, or possibly just out to pasture -- you make the call.

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
Please pardon the dust and update your feed readers accordingly. Thank you - Whit

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Parenting is the New Black

Jonathon, of Flailing My Arms, posed a question over at BloggingBaby that seems pretty relevant.

He discusses the phenom that is Neal Pollack (going to see him speak tomorrow, anyone else?) and his gift to parenting lore, Alternadad, and of course the inevitable mention of DadCentric, in wondering if we, being todays parents, are actually doing anything all that special.

As those of you with blogs know, I often leave comments on sites that are much funnier or better thought out than anything I actually post over here. Maybe it's the lack of pressure. Whatever. The point is that I'm going to do something I've never done before and copy my comment from BloggingBaby and use it in my post today. It's not cheating, look how much other crap I just added.

I believe the first comment (see original post) mentioned the key difference between our generation and those past. The Internet.

We may not be doing anything ground-breaking, but thanks to personal blogs and the very popular group blogs like DadCentric, StrollerDerby and Blogging Baby, the world is aware of what we do. Perhaps we have brought this glorification upon ourselves.

I don't believe that we have strayed that much from what our parents taught us. I grew up on the Beatles and Willie Nelson, and my kids are growing up on, well the Beatles and Willie Nelson. My apple didn't fall too far.

I do think that there is a wider acceptance of fathers being less "traditional", that is staying at home and being active in the actual rearing of the child rather than dishing out words of wisdom across the dinner table.

There are other considerations as well, one being that many people are starting families later in life, and this is leading to a generation of parents that are already established in their own identity when the child arrives. That identity likes to have fun. 30 is the new 20 you know.

That said, I'm not going to go all Public Enemy on you, because I think you should believe some of the hype. I'll take something as refreshing and solid as good parenting in USA Today any day of the week (except Saturday or Sunday apparently). Whether or not the movement deserves such recognition, hell, whether or not it is even a movement, that's a matter of opinion.

Me? Yes on the former, eh on the latter.

Speaking of opinion, it appears that the backlash has begun. I was wondering how long it would take for that bandwagon to hitch itself to this free ride.

It doesn't matter. You like the book. You hate the book. The book is a result of this suggested "parenting revolution", not the cause.

The only thing that does matter is that people are being active in the lives of their children, and if the media eats that shit up then all the better.

Labels: , , , ,