<HONEA EXPRESS: Birth of the Cool
honeaexpress

It finally happened. Honea Express has moved to greener pastures, or possibly just out to pasture -- you make the call.

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.whithonea.com/
Please pardon the dust and update your feed readers accordingly. Thank you - Whit

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Birth of the Cool

I've been working on what I'll say when I address the students on Friday. I thought I would run my speech, as it is, by you guys. Tell me what you think.


Hey Dudes & Dudettes, how's it hangin'? I know I was introduced as Mr. Honea, but hey man, that dude's my dad. Just call me Whit.

I'm here today to drop some knowledge on you about poetry. Now hold on, before you give me that, "poetry is whack" jive, listen to this. Do you know what the bands Lincoln Park, The Wu Tang & The Clans, Con Yeah West, and Snoopy Dog all have in common with me? No we're not all fat (hold for laughs), but we are all PHat (stress phonetics).

Those guys and gals are poets, just like me. Poetry is hip...hop (maybe cross arms ala Run DMC at this point). They just happen to put their rhymes to dope beat boxes and scratched records. I put my words to paper.

I know what you're thinking. Wow! I didn't realize that poetry could be so cool Mr. Honea. Oh it is... and don't call me Mr. Honea (go with quick point from the hip- wink? only if I'm feeling it).

But seriously kids, there is more to writing poems than ho's and black on black violence. There are matters of the heart. What? Gross! Hey man, it's true! Valentine's Day is right around the corner and if you fellas are entertaining any ideas of seeing some panties that aren't your sisters, then a few sweet words are the way to go. Am I right ladies?! (wait for cheers to end)

Here's how I roll: (read poem)


So, what do you think? I'm still working on it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.