<HONEA EXPRESS: Shelter on the Promenade

It finally happened. Honea Express has moved to greener pastures, or possibly just out to pasture -- you make the call.

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
Please pardon the dust and update your feed readers accordingly. Thank you - Whit

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Shelter on the Promenade

I'm okay! I know you must have been worried. I haven't gone this long between posts since the Carter administration. It's just that I'm working on this damn book proposal and it is freaking harder than writing the book.

We spent yesterday at the Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica. It's a place where commerce meets the ocean. It smells of salt and greed. And urine.

The street is filled with the hip and those that think they are (BTW, those boots are called UGG's for a reason, they are UGGLY). It is filled with the neighbors, fresh from their homes cut from Pottery Barn catalogs, and the hired help that work for them. It is filled with the homeless. Tons of crazy, free-peeing homeless.

I don't know that I've smelled seen so many homeless people in one small area since the last time I was in San Fransisco.

Now don't get me wrong. I'm for helping these poor people. I'm not proposing that we bus them Utah. However, their presence is creepy.

I don't like going to such a popular destination and feeling like I'm shopping in a truck stop restroom. I don't like having to steer my children through people wearing suits made of trash bags and perfume of feces that are having shouting matches with their own reflection in the GAP window. It puts my parent-sense on high tingle.

Of course, I have no reason to think they pose a greater threat than any of the other people walking around that aren't soaked in piss, other than the fact that they stare at my kids in more of a "food" way then a "cute" way. That is, of course, disturbing. (Man, I just spent 45 minutes trying to find a picture of that old Bugs Bunny cartoon where the two hungry guys imagine each other as a hot dog and hamburger, respectively. No dice. However, you would be amazed what you do find during that search. Don't try it at work!)

Overall, it was a good day. Nice weather, the kids were good and none of us were the victim of a walk-up urination. Granted, it's no day of blogging in my underwear with kids crying at my feet, but good nonetheless.

Now, can someone help me with this proposal?

Labels: , ,