<HONEA EXPRESS: Everything is Spanish for Something

It finally happened. Honea Express has moved to greener pastures, or possibly just out to pasture -- you make the call.

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
Please pardon the dust and update your feed readers accordingly. Thank you - Whit

Saturday, August 04, 2007

Everything is Spanish for Something

"Snowing," said Atticus while staring absently out the window at an endless view of warmth and sunshine, "is Spanish for Christmas."

I looked towards him. "Is it?" I asked.

"Yes, and snowmans are blanco."

"True," I answered, wondering where this was going.

"I can't wait to play in the snow. Maybe Santa will bring some."

"It may snow this year," it has in the past I thought, so why not. "Do you want to make a snowman with Zane?"

"I want a baby sister."

"Um, what?"

"That way the babies can hang out, and I can hang out with my mommy and daddy."

"What would we do?" I asked him.

"We would play in the snow," he replied, somewhat annoyed that I wasn't following. "We'll play in the snow because you love me."

"That is the best reason I've ever heard to play in the snow." I answered.

"Well," he paused to look out the window at the far-away shadows of fall, "what about Christmas? That's a good reason too."

"This is true." I could feel the tingles of tenderness growing upon me. We were having a moment, father and son, and as is the case with such things, I was cherishing it already- committing it to memory even as I lived it.

"You know what else I want Daddy?" he started. It could be anything and it would be his.

"Yo quiero leche choc-o-lot-a."

"Si," I replied as I stood to follow him anywhere. "Because I love you."

Labels: , , , , , ,