<HONEA EXPRESS: Blogging and the NonBlog Meme

It finally happened. Honea Express has moved to greener pastures, or possibly just out to pasture -- you make the call.

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
Please pardon the dust and update your feed readers accordingly. Thank you - Whit

Sunday, October 28, 2007

Blogging and the NonBlog Meme

Hi. Remember me? I've been a terrible blogger-buddy. Maybe it is because I couldn't go to the party. Maybe it's because my Fantasy Football team sucks. Maybe it is because BlogRush, that was in my sidebar, contacted me and said my blog wasn't up to their standards and provided a list of said standards of which I met, if not exceeded, every one. Screw 'em.

Sure, those might be part of it, but the truth is I've been busy. Thing 1 has blossomed as a full-blown lover of all things Halloween and as such we've spent every free moment creating decorations and spooky-ooky houses. These are generally made from sticks and duct tape. Whatever, he digs it.

In addition, I've taken on yet another blogging gig. Yes, the internet is mine, all mine! Bahawahahaha!! That's supposed to be some evil laugh thing in case you were wondering.

What this means is that I'll be spreading myself even thinner, but my pockets will be getting fatter. It's a win-win. The new site will be up soon. I'll keep you posted.

In the meantime I'm still reading blogs I just haven't been commenting as much. That's because my fingers are numb and my brain is mush. More than usual.

In closing, Keith at African American Dad has tagged me with a NonBlog Meme. This seems like as good a place for it as any.

My answers are below the fine print:

The Rules:

1. After your intro, copy/paste this line and the rules below it: The originator wants to see how far it goes so please keep his link intact: http://rileycentral.net/

2. Encourage people to post with the incentive of a link by including those who have passed it along here:(Your link here and so on . . .) Seriously, what the heck does this part mean?<--Keith added that part, but I agree.

3. Visit at least 3 on the list that have written and passed this meme. Leave them a comment..

Damien at Riley Central says, “Today I hereby unblog my mind with this post. One reason MANY of us writers get writer’s block is because we don’t nurture the things that give us joy. We spend too much time on the computer trying to write when we haven’t done anything worthy of writing about! To illustrate what makes me tick, and what gives me pure joy I am choosing 3 things I enjoy more than blogging and writing about them! Pick three things that enrapture, consume, fascinate, or otherwise enliven you more than blogging. Then write a few lines about each to explain what the nonblog activity does for you, why and how.”

Top 3 things I enjoy more than blogging:

  1. My family. I was going to be lame(r) and list them individually as the three things, but even a lazy guy like me can do better than that. Obviously they are the most important aspect of my life. I can't even remember what motivated me before I had kids. Oh, wait, yes I can, and I guess that's how I came to have kids. It's one of those butterfly in the Amazon sort of things. I know I'm supposed to list the reasons why I chose this answer, but I think this one speaks for itself, and if it doesn't, pick a post, any post.

  2. Music. I love music. I was just going to say that I always have music playing and then I realized that I was sitting here in silence. Hey, the boys are in bed, the wife is at work and I just turned off SportsCenter. I don't get a lot of me time. Yes, I stand by #1.

    I do love music though. Now I feel weird. Pardon me a moment...

    Ok, I just hit play on iTunes. Wilco came on, which is always good. I've been listening the hell out their new album. I'm also heavy into the latest Shins (I know, it's been a while, but it's good) and the most recent Foo Fighters. I also came across a fun little band of British hotties called the Pipettes which are a lot of fun.

    Most of you know I'm a Beatles guy, but did you know I'm a jazz guy as well? That's what fills most of my day. I have a decent collection, but lately I've gone the lazy route and just play the 'real jazz' station on the XM channels on my satellite TV. There was a time, years ago, that my only experience with jazz were the likes of Harry Connick Jr., and Kenny G. I took a jazz appreciation course in college and quickly replaced my Kenny G albums with the likes of Monk, Miles and the ilk. I love that shit in the morning with my coffee or in the small hours of the night with whisky and lonely thoughts. You can't beat it. In fact, the first story I ever published was called "Jazz," and you can find it in my internets. It's not for the faint of heart.

    Crap, how long is this answer? To wrap it up, I love music but I can't play it. We have a keyboard, a piano, a guitar, a drum kit, and various smaller instruments in our home and neither my wife or I can play any of them. I'm hoping the boys develop my ear for it and take it a step further.

  3. Animals. Yes, I'm back to eating them, but only the ones that deserve it. I've always loved animals. We have 3 dogs and 3 cats, with over a dozen other cats in the surrounding area that my wife has taken to feeding and petting on a daily basis. As soon as she starts wearing a shawl we're moving.

    They just make me feel good. They always have. I grew up on a large parcel of land surrounded by fields and desert. Over the years we had the following pets:

    • Dogs
    • Cats
    • Pigeons
    • Geese
    • Pigs
    • Sheep
    • Cows
    • Horses
    • Rabbits
    • Ferrett
    • Monkey
    • Chickens
    • Goats
    • Fish
    • Hamsters
    I think that's it. Of those, only one cow, Strawberry, made it into the freezer and when my sister and I refused to eat her my parents gave the meat away. As far as we know, but really, that's freaking gross.
Okay, how boring was that for you? Try living it.

In the spirit of memes I'm now supposed to tag some people, so here you go (feel free to participate even if your name isn't called): JerryChicken, FlutterCrafts, and Daddyshack. Tin roof. Rusted.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,