<HONEA EXPRESS: The Daring Book for Girls: A Review
honeaexpress

It finally happened. Honea Express has moved to greener pastures, or possibly just out to pasture -- you make the call.

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.whithonea.com/
Please pardon the dust and update your feed readers accordingly. Thank you - Whit

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

The Daring Book for Girls: A Review

I know what you're thinking, I don't have girls. This is true. Then there is the sad fact that I never learned to read. I write faneticlee.

The thing is that I was sent a copy of the book to review and before I had a chance to do it myself the internet was bombarded with real reviews by people that actually had daughters, which in my eyes made them slightly more qualified.

Still, I would be remiss if I didn't talk about this book. The Daring Book for Girls is the follow-up to the very popular and very cool Dangerous Book for Boys. It was written by Andrea J. Buchanan and Miriam Peskowitz. The cover is blue.

That's right. Blue. Actually, it's kind of a soft sea-foam, but you get the idea. This isn't a book that caters to stereotypes. It's a daring book, not darling.

The book offers useful bits of information, both instructional and informative, to help a young girl not only grow into a strong woman, but perhaps more importantly, be a strong girl. Plus, it's fun!

It covers everything from Abigail Adams to Zenobia. In between you'll find princesses and pirates, secret gardens and snowballs, and the how-to of negotiating a salary and whistling with two fingers.

It embraces the lady and entices the tomboy while making it clear that the two need not be exclusive.

It encourages strength without preaching it. It's subtle but not quiet. I like that.

You should buy this for the little girl(s) in your life. I dare you.

Labels: , , , ,