<HONEA EXPRESS: Thing 1 Goes to Preschool: A Parentricity Post
honeaexpress

It finally happened. Honea Express has moved to greener pastures, or possibly just out to pasture -- you make the call.

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.whithonea.com/
Please pardon the dust and update your feed readers accordingly. Thank you - Whit

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Thing 1 Goes to Preschool: A Parentricity Post

In case you wonder what the hell I'm doing over there.


As a Stay-At-Home-Dad I have had the luxury of not requiring childcare for my children. I've also had the burden of not ever putting my children in childcare. It's a vicious circle.

Today that changed. My 4-year-old was enrolled in a kindergarten readiness program. He is beside himself with excitement and anticipation.

We didn't put him in the school for the academic benefits. The kid is smart. Scary smart. We were more worried about the social skills and structure that come with peers and routine. He does well with people, children and adults, but he's never had to sit still in the presence of another kid. He's been free to run and play, like a dog in the park. Did I just compare my kid to a dog? Yeah. I'm okay with it.

Plus I really need some quiet time.

The thing that I found weird about the class is that it lasts for 10 weeks, two times per. I'll do the math for you, that's 20 classes. Out of those twenty each child's parent is required to attend 4 classes to assist as well as both fieldtrips. I'm okay with this, really I am, but at the same time I can't help but feel like I'm being cheated.

Basically I'm buying 14 classes for the price of twenty. And I get to watch other people's kids for free. Where's my quiet time? Somebody, somewhere, is a freaking genius and it isn't me.

Oh well, at least I get to bring snack for the lot of them, so there's that.

Labels: , , , , , ,