<HONEA EXPRESS: When Love Came to Town

It finally happened. Honea Express has moved to greener pastures, or possibly just out to pasture -- you make the call.

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
Please pardon the dust and update your feed readers accordingly. Thank you - Whit

Thursday, November 15, 2007

When Love Came to Town

The phone rang in the late afternoon of the second day. A man's voice asked, "Did you lose a dog?"

"Yes," I replied. "Yes, Sir. We did."

He described her. He described the poster. He would be at our home in a matter of minutes.

I didn't tell the boys. I didn't want to get their hopes up. The car pulled into the yard and Love came barreling out of the backseat. My wife had gone inside to tell Atticus and he came out the front door at cartoon speed- a blur of winding legs and clouds of dust. They ran as fast as they could through meadows of flowers and fields of tall wheat, arms wide and tails wagging. They moved in slow motion, a dance of hopes not lost and innocence confirmed. In the distance Louis Armstrong played something soft and tender on the trumpet.

I stood and watched with a stranger in my driveway. I shook his hand and I felt like crying.

Labels: , , , , , , ,