<HONEA EXPRESS: A New Hope
honeaexpress

It finally happened. Honea Express has moved to greener pastures, or possibly just out to pasture -- you make the call.

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.whithonea.com/
Please pardon the dust and update your feed readers accordingly. Thank you - Whit

Monday, January 21, 2008

A New Hope

I'm going to talk politics. Some might say that I should stick to the topics of children and the usual fodder for this blog. That's exactly what I'm doing.

You see, I, like any parent, want what is best for my children. I want them to grow up in this great country with it still being great. I'm tired of it being torn apart from the inside. I'm tired of defending the undefended from our own leaders. I'm tired of being the undefended.

I've known who I was supporting for president since the day he announced his candidacy and I have only felt my resolve grow stronger. As far as I'm concerned there is only one vote for America and it scares me that the options for failure have the backing that they do.

I don't expect everyone to agree with me, but I think they should.

Today we are celebrating Martin Luther King day in America. Today I watched a video of my candidate, Barack Obama give a speech from Dr. King's old church in Atlanta and I felt my resolve grow stronger still.

There are many choices for president and they all offer different ways of packaging the status quo. I don't want that. America can't have that.

The speech is long, but it is worth watching- at least listening to. The only speeches that have touched me more are from the clips of memories that grace movies and history reels. Barack Obama is not JFK, MLK, or Lou Gehrig, yet, but his words are enough for me to bring my boys to my lap and ask them to watch, no easy task but one worth doing- much like the plans laid out by Obama. I want my boys to have hope.

I've taken the liberty of sharing some of my favorite quotes. They inspire hope, and unlike the promises of others in the running, they inspire my desire to believe.

The words of Barack Obama:

We can no longer afford to build ourselves up by tearing each other down.

We have to challenge ourselves to be better parents, and turn off the television set, and put away the video game- and our men have to be home with our children.

I couldn't have gotten here without some hope.

Change does not happen from the top down... it happens from the bottom up.

Soon we will be asked to decide the fate of this man, and with him our country. If I was prone to prayer I would do it now.



I approve this message.

Labels: , , , , ,