<HONEA EXPRESS: Whit in Real Life

It finally happened. Honea Express has moved to greener pastures, or possibly just out to pasture -- you make the call.

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
Please pardon the dust and update your feed readers accordingly. Thank you - Whit

Monday, June 02, 2008

Whit in Real Life

A few nights ago we watched Dan in Real Life. I didn't really know what it was about, other than it starred Steve Carell, who I like, and that the trailer had that funny part where he told the cop to "put it on my tab," which is great.

Turns out that it's a good movie. I want to say it was a nice movie, which sounds weird, because what the hell does that mean? Yet, it was nice.

There was a scene that reminded me of a time that I wasn't. Well, I've always been about the same to be honest. I'm something of a sarcastic ass, but with a heart of gold. I don't think before I speak and I wear my heart on my sleeve. I've had my share of trouble from it and more than my share of reward.

There was, however, a time when I was much more likely to be a jerk to someone based on things that aren't important now. Hell, they weren't important then. Of course I'm talking about high school. Yes, it was 20 years ago- I know, I look good. It was so easy to make fun of a kid for things beyond their control. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't perfect, and even then I would try to mend my ways, but not always. It took a few years in the real world to see that things I thought harmless and funny probably weren't. Well, they were funny, but they probably still hurt.

In the movie Carell's character is set up on a date by his parents with a girl from high school. He doesn't even remember her, but apparently her nickname was "pig-face." For the record, she turns out to be hot. That's always convenient.

I bought the soundtrack. For the most part it's a Sondre Lerche album, and I'm a fan (especially of his Chet Baker wannabe stuff). The whole album is great, if you're into that kind of stuff, which I've made pretty clear that I am. However, the song that sticks out the most to me isn't one by Sondre or his quartet, but by the cast from the film as they sing about the pig-faced girl.

It makes me feel good and I'm not sure why. It could be, a) it reminds me of a more innocent, albeit ignorant, time, b) I want my family to be like theirs, but none of us can play the piano, besides, they all live in the desert, c) it's clever, d) your answer here.

I don't know. The bottom line is I like it and I'm going to share it. Judge me if you must:

And just because here's some Sondre Lerche:

Labels: , , , , , ,